Current:Home > NewsPaula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -USAMarket
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:10:27
Paula Abdul and Nigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (265)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Sen. Krawiec and Rep. Gill won’t seek reelection to the North Carolina General Assembly
- Putin plans to visit UAE and Saudi Arabia this week, according to Russian media reports
- Owners of a funeral home where 190 decaying bodies were found to appear in court
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Germany and Brazil hope for swift finalization of a trade agreement between EU and Mercosur
- Worried about job cuts heading into 2024? Here's how to prepare for layoff season
- Missing woman from Minnesota found dead in garbage compactor of NYC condominium building
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Kenan Thompson Shares Why He Hasn’t Spoken Out About Divorce From Christina Evangeline
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- DeSantis to run Iowa campaign ad featuring former Trump supporters
- Woman plans to pay off kids' student loans after winning $25 million Massachusetts lottery prize
- You Need to See Rita Ora Rocking Jaw-Dropping Spikes Down Her Back
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- US, allies in talks on naval task force to protect shipping in Red Sea after Houthi attacks
- Repeat that again? Powerball's winning numbers have some players seeing a double opportunity
- American tourist killed in shark attack in Bahamas, police say
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Large part of U.S. Osprey that crashed in Japan found with 5 more crew members' bodies inside
Repeat that again? Powerball's winning numbers have some players seeing a double opportunity
Officers kill man who fired at authorities during traffic stop, Idaho police say
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Top players in the college football transfer portal? We’re tracking them all day long
George Santos is offering personalized videos for $200
Venezuela’s government wins vote on claiming part of Guyana, but turnout seems lackluster